HomeAbout MeMy ShopGallery

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Dorset Feather Stitchery, Purse Etc.

The above photo show an example of a Dorset Crosswheel Button with a lovely example of Dorset Feather Stitching developed from traditional patterns used in smocking.
The above photo is of a work bag and was one of the most popular patterns in Olivia Pass book.
This photo is of a work bag pattern which was given a sophisticated makeover as a framed evening bag in shades of pistachio and dove gray. I found all these examples of Dorset Feather Stitching in Issue #46 of the Stitch Magazine published in the UK. The Dorset Feather Stitchery by Olivia Pass was first published in 1957 and has been updated with New Editions 9 times. The last being in 1997. This is the edition I bought from the Embroiderer's Guild in the UK. It has many really nice pattern and it cost 6.95 in British Currency which works out to be about $15.00 American. The book talks about how this unique stitch was created by Olivia and it long history of popularity.


8 comments:

Solstitches said...

Wonderful embroideries!
Way above my head but gorgeous to look at and to be inspired by.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Margaret, Thanks for visiting my blog. Yup, I have tried a few of the Dorset Feather Stitchery and they are NOT difficult at all. Hugs Judy

coral-seas said...

Aren't these lovely. I missed this issue for some reason so I have not seen form of stitching before.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is gorgeous! I do love paisleys, which makes it even better - and thanks for new links.

Deepa said...

Beautiful embroidery!! No wonder you fell in love with the book.Looks colorful like Indian embroidery.Any tutorials that you know of?
Deepa
P.s thanks for visiting my blog.

Deepa said...

Hi Judy,
Chemanthy stitch seems to be a rather obscure one.Not many know this.I too am on the look out for a book.No success till now.
Deepa

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Ladies, Thanks for visiting. I have not done a tutorial yet but hope to soon. I loved seeing those Chemanthy stitch. Very creative and definitely unique. Hugs Judy

Maggie R said...

Judy, this work is awesome. I have never see anything like it before!!
Thanks for sharing
xoxo
((((hugs)))
Maggie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...