HomeAbout MeMy ShopGallery

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Dorset Buttons: Splendiferous

For the last couple of weeks my fingers have been very busy stitching and creating Dorset Buttons for projects and friends. I bought "The Dorset Feather Stitchery" book a couple of years ago from the UK Stitch Magazine. Inside this book it explains how to make these lovely buttons along with heaps of lovely Dorset Feather Stitches. The above photo is the "First 5 Dorset Buttons" I have ever made.

In the recent issue Vol 8 Issue # 04 of Crazy Quilt Magazine Online, Diane Mugsford from British Columbia presented a written Workshop to the Fraser Valley Needlearts Guild newsletter on how to create these fantastic Dorset Pin Buttons. Through Kerry Leslie ( click on Kerry name to get to her lovely blog), Diane graciously allowed her pattern to be published in our CQMagOnline Mag. Diane's Dorset button resembles a flower bouquet which looks very similar to my "Roses and More Roses" top left. Thanks Kerry, I loved this pattern.

Also Marion Howitt of the UK has a website called "Dorset Buttons" and has a 16 page booklet called "Fact File" giving detailed instructions on how to create many Dorset Buttons. I bought the Lovely "Fact File" Booklet from Marion. It is very very nice with very detailed instructions for some unique Dorset Buttons. I highly recommend it.

The British Button Society has a website that show some very lovely Dorset Buttons too. I especially loved the "The Christmas Tree Dorset Button" by Marlene Bramman. I gave the Christmas Tree Dorset Button a go and a photo of it is on the top right. I added lots of beads and a wee star at the top.

The last row shows Three Dorset Buttons in the traditional designs. The shade of Purple Dorset Button was the very first one I ever made then the Green one and lastly the Peppermint color one.

In this photo I show you the different types of threads and yarns I used to create these buttons.

(1) Roses and More Roses Brooch, was made with White "Paton's Silk Bamboo Yarn" with a 2 inch plastic ring. The Trio Embroidery Flosses I used in creating the roses were 50% Silk and 50% Wool made in Switzerland. This floss is very soft and lovely to stitch with.

(2) My Christmas Tree Dorset Button Brooch, was made with Red "Paton's Angora Bamboo Yarn" with a 2 inch plastic ring. The tree was created with Green "Paton's Silk Bamboo Yarn" and then I added beads and a wee star at the top.

(3) The Shade of Purple Dorset Button was made from #8 DMC Perle Cotton with a 1 1/4 inch plastic ring.

(4) The Shade of Green Dorset Button was made from #8 Finca by Presencia. I also added Madeira Metallic thread to the inside to add sparkle to it. It was made from a 1 1/4 inch ring.

(5) The Peppermint Dorset Button was made from # 20 Lizbeth tatting cotton and I used a 3/4 inch ring. I enjoyed using all sizes of threads and yarns and each came out having a very unique look. I really like them all.

The reference books I used are the "50 Heirloom Buttons, by Nancy Nehring 1996 which is out of print but can be bought through http://www.amazon.com/

The Dorset Feather Stitchery by Olivia Pass was first published in 1957 and reprinted 9 times. I bought this book through the UK "Stitch Magazine". See below photo.

I also recently bought a novel called "Burning Bright" by Tracy Chevalier. It takes place in the French Revolution-era London ( 250 year Anniversary of William Blake birth). He comes from Dorsetshire. It is a lovely book and I am only on Chapter 6 so lots to read yet. I will let you all know what I think of it when I have finished it. Has anyone read this book?

I love the "Stitch Magazine" and I have been reading it for several years. The above photo is of the most recent issue (#61) here in the states. I was so excited to see it in Joann's on Friday. I have been waiting for it for weeks and weeks to arrive. I could hardly believe that I got the last issue in stock they usually have several copies on hand. The reason for my excitement is that my friend Michala (Kayla Coo) from the UK lovely wool embroidery art was on the front cover. Inside she created the 4 Season in Felt. There is no better word that I can describe Michala Art than "Splendiferous!!!!! Congratulation Michala!!

I truly enjoyed creating "My Dorset Buttons". I plan to create many more. I would like to add allot more beads to them in the future to give them more sparkle. Hopefully one day I will become more proficient in creating them and then I would be keen to trade with others.

Today in Michigan it was 70F unbelievable for this time of year. Huge Very Big Grin!! Usually we are seeing snowflakes flying by now. This great weather is to last the whole coming week. Lucky us. But I am sure the snow is not far off.

I would also like to Thank You All for visiting my blog and leaving your lovely comments.

Hugs,

28 comments:

Dolores said...

I love your Dorset buttons and it inspired me to get the 50 Heirloom buttons to make book out of the library. If memory serves, I had heard of these years and years ago but I never made any. Now I may just give it a go.

Deb Hardman said...

Wow Judy, those are amazing little works of art! How inspiring! Thanks for all the info too. I've never seen "Stitch" magazine. It looks interesting.

Jane said...

What delightful buttons, the top left is my favourite

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Hi Judy,
I'm so glad you like the Stitch magazine.
It feels quite strange to think my work is in a magazine available in the States.
Your buttons are wonderful,I have never made them before.

Jacq said...

WOW! I'm inspired, I think I may have to put my knitting aside and start doing buttons. Glad you were able to get the book. Have a great week.

Maggie R said...

JUDY!!!!
These buttons are fabulous... I tried one one time but never did any more..... Now I am inspired....Never a dull moment....
I wish you would pop by my blog and enter my draw.. It is a crazy quilted item ;-}Alaways fun to see you
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie

Jane said...

Wow, Judy! These are incredible!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Your Dorset buttons are beautiful. I have never seen these before. They are little treasures

Carolyn x

Cathy said...

Wow, Judy, you've outdone yourself. I have Nancy Nehring's book and have been fascinated with Dorset Buttons for about six months now. Next year on CQI, we'll feature Dorset Buttons as a challenge one month - and I guess YOUR SITE will be the perfect reference!! Thanks and hugs, Cathy

Heather said...

Judy, your buttons are just lovely... they are surely going to enhance any project you work on. I love the looks of all the different threads you have used. Very inspiring post, but, ahem, I have to get cracking on Christmas projects and not "play around", VBG! Hugs.

Bev C said...

Hello Judy,

I just love your buttons I can see this being very addictive. I remember these when they were in vogue a few years back. Have fun.

RagJó said...

These buttons are beautiful Judy, as everything you do.
Thank you for sharing, it is so inspiring :-)
hugs
Rags

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Everyone, Thanks for the great lovely comments on my Dorset Buttons. I am sooooo happy I have inspired other to give them a go. Please let me know when you have made some I would love to see them. Hugs to everyone. Judy

tintocktap said...

Great post - your Dorset buttons are gorgeous - I've been meaning to try making them myself sometime!

MOMENTS Designs said...

Judy, your buttons are fabulous!!
I especially love the Christmas tree one...should I send you my address! LOL
Hugs,Liz

Maureen said...

Your buttons look lovely Judy, love the xmas tree one -I have just made three for know.

Laurette said...

Hi, Judy... Here you are doing something as wonderful as these Dorset buttons. I did not know there were such nice buttons to be made. I learned something new again.Thanks for showing them off and how to do them.
Laurette.

Margaretha said...

My grandmother taught me how to make Dorset buttons in 1949 ( she actually lived in Dorset) and I have been producing them ever since. I am most certainly going to purchase the book- it is definitely a 'MUST HAVE'. Thank you for a beautifully inspiring site

Deepa said...

Oh Judy,these are absolutely beautiful!! I don't know much about Dorset buttons, but after seeing your work, Iam surely going to look up about it on the web.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello J,

How wonderful that your grandmother taught you how to create these lovely buttons. My email addy is cjquilter00@verizon.net Please email me, I would LOVE to chat to you more about Dorset Buttons. Thanks Hugs Judy

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Deepa, Laurette, Maureen, Liz, Thanks for visiting and leaving your lovely messages. I am always pleased that I may inspire others to create. Hugs Judy

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Deepa, Laurette, Maureen, Liz, Thanks for visiting and leaving your lovely messages. I am always pleased that I may inspire others to create. Hugs Judy

Deb said...

Judy!! How perfectly awesome to see your gorgeous buttons. I've never heard of Dorset Buttons, but I love the idea and your designs. I can just imagine all of the wonderful ways to use them! Great work! Hugs, Deb

Nuvofelt said...

Your Dorset buttons are lovely. It's good to see the craft reviving as they have so many uses. My DH 's grandmother had a team of button makers in Dorset, it's part of our family history. Isn't that cool. Thanks for sharing yours.

Kathi said...

I love your buttons...especially the flower one. I did make a bunch couple years ago (before my digital camera!) It was fun and am inspired to make some of them again.
Like your blog too!

1parentingphil said...

these are beautiful!been making some of my own too but not this great :-)

Lavender lace lady said...

I have just found you and your very lovely blog. this was because i make Dorset buttons too. I was looking for inspiration and boy did I find it in bucket loads. I live and work near Shaftesbury in Dorset, where the Dorset button originated. So lovely to see the buttons going on and on. Don't they just look wonderful on ahand made garment? I also make bobbin lace and the buttons seem to go well with it.
Thank you so much for your inspiring photos.

Kids craft ideas said...

So cute! thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...