HomeAbout MeMy ShopGallery

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Anne Of Green Gable Stamps 1908-2008




I have been a Anne of Green Gable fan for many years. I introduced my grand daughter to Anne when she was very young and now she is 18 years old heading off to college in the Autumn. I feel very blessed because now I have another grand daughter Chloe who is now 2 years old. So grandma plans to share the joy of this beloved story of Anne of Green Gable with her too.

Today in the post I received "Anne of Green Gable Stamps" from Maggie a "Kindred Spirit" who lives in Ontario, Canada. Thank You, Thank You Maggie. I also I love the very beautiful "Rose" Envelope you sent the stamps in. These lovely stamps have been created to celebrate the 100th year anniversary of the story "Anne of Green Gable", created by L.M. Montgomery.

There is many lovely quotes noted in the Anne of Green Gable stories, below are the three that really makes me smile.

"This Island is the bloomiest place. I just love it already, and I'm so glad I'm going to live here. I've always heard that Prince Edward Island was the prettiest place in the world."

"My book came today, fresh from the publishers, I candidly confess that it was for me a proud, wonderful, thrilling moment! There in my hand lay the material realization of all the dreams and hopes and ambitious and struggles of my whole conscious existence, my first book! Not a great book at all but mine, mine, mine, something to which I had given birth something which, but for me, would never have existed. "

"I can just imagine myself sitting down at the head of the table and pouring out the tea," said Anne ecstatically. "And asking Diana if she takes sugar! I know she doesn't but of course I'll ask her just as if I didn't know. And then pressing her to take another piece of fruitcake and another helping of preserves. Oh, Marilla, it's a wonderful sensation just to think of it."

Anne began life impoverished and unloved, yet she managed to cultivate her gifts of optimism, curiosity and imagination. As a girl she was impetuous and adventurous, but she developed into a young woman of courage and independence, as her romantic notions mellowed into a intense appreciation for the beauty and accomplishments.

Though Anne was of a much different era, we can still share those things she valued most. "the joys of sincere work and worthy aspiration and congenial friendships." And perhaps we can be counted among her cherished Kindred Spirits, for she once said herself that "Kindred Spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world."

I wonder what "Anne of Green Gable" would think of our computer age. I reckon she would embrace it because through the Internet one can reach out around the world and definitely find, "Kindred Spirits"! I have NO kindred spirit in the small town where I live but I certainly over the years have had the honor of finding many "Kindred Spirits" around the world through the Internet. My DH and very best friend and I met on a Christian Online chat group and we have never looked back. We are truly "Kindred Spirits"!!

Hopefully one day we will visit PEI and see this lovely Island where L.M Montgomery created, Anne Of Green Gable"!

5 comments:

Maggie R said...

Hi Judy,
I was soooooo happy to know you received your stamps... It was certainly a pleasure for me to add to your "Anne" collection. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post on Anne.
I lived in Nova Scotia for 10 years and never got over to PEI. Can you imagine?!?!?!?So Close and yet so far away....
How could I let an opportunity to visit Anne's place slip away???... Well we were young marrieds with 4 kids and not much money for holidaying, so we always came to Ontario and stayed with our parents for holidays.....
I have yet to see PEI but it ain't over til it's over so perhaps one day I can ;-}
Thanks for such a lovely post Jusy
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie

Anonymous said...

Lovely stamps.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

We are three generations here of
"Anne" fans! thanks for calling attention to the stamps.

Jane said...

Wonderful book and great post about your memories... the "Secret Garden" was/is one of my childhood favorites. Thank the Lord for books or what would life be ???

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Jane, Thanks for stopping by and leaving your nice comment. Book are truly wonderful. You can lose yourself in a different world for awhile. Hugs Judy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...