HomeAbout MeMy ShopGallery

Sunday, January 13, 2008

My Memory Story Quilt of Alaska



I started quilting in 1994 and this Memory Story Quilt was started in 1997 while I was living in Oregon. I started this quilt to remember the wonderful memories I had in Alaska while being a Bush School Nurse in the early 1990's. It has been stored away long enough. I think I would like to quilt it by using embroidery floss an a big stitch to keep with the rustic theme. I would appreciate any input on hand quilting this Story Quilt. Thanks.

A little about the story behind this quilt. I flew to 10 Indian Villages along the Yukon and Koyukuk Rivers to take care of school children. I was able to drive to two of these villages which I did once and unfortunately I encountered White Out Blizzard conditions while going over the Mt. pass at the end of May. With much pray and guardian angels, I barely made it over the pass. When I finally made it to the other side I discovered two village natives were already searching for me. When they told me this the tears flowed. What wonderful people I worked with while living in Alaska. I never drove to Minto and Manley Hot Springs again. vbg The bush pilots who flew me to the villages were incredibly wonderful. Many times I was flown to special places to see things like the migration of the caribou from the Artic National Wildlife to their wintering grounds. Another adventure was to follow and wave at the dog mushers along the Iditorod Trail. While in the villages I worked with great teachers and the members of the village community. I was in a village a week at a time so while there I would help out the medical aide person when needed. I could go on and on about my adventures living in Alaska but I think it would bore you all. vbg

The background fabric in the center block looked like the Northern Lights to me. I will never forget seeing these glorious Aurora, colorful rivers of light in the midnight sky. The small figures represent me and the aide showing me to the clinic in the village. The river in the quilt represents the Yukon River and of course there is the salmon too. Because of this quilt being a memory quilt I added highlights of the landscapes I loved about Oregon too. Like the Three Sisters Mts. of Central Oregon. I added beaded Blue Berry Bushes, silk ribbon embroidery birds, flowers and trees all symbolizing the states I loved.

I must finish this Memory Story Quilt soI can proudly display it on my wall.

3 comments:

Vivian said...

You asked for comments on the method of quilting: I would do it block-by-block so that you don't overpower the design with the quilting.
- perhaps outline some areas with a primitive stitch, but invisible stitch around objects in other areas.
- your primitive hand running stitch could enhance the sky, add texture in the wood, etc. The fly stitch or french knots could also add interest.
- the borders could be done in traditional hand quilting.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Vivian, Thank you very very much for your suggestions on how to hand quilt my Alaska Quilt. Greatly appreciated. Hugs Judy


Vivian has left a new comment on your post "My Memory Story Quilt of Alaska":

You asked for comments on the method of quilting: I would do it block-by-block so that you don't overpower the design with the quilting.
- perhaps outline some areas with a primitive stitch, but invisible stitch around objects in other areas.
- your primitive hand running stitch could enhance the sky, add texture in the wood, etc. The fly stitch or french knots could also add interest.
- the borders could be done in traditional hand quilting.

piney cq said...

This will be such a treasure for you when its done!! Great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...